Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Postcard from Italy

LA DOLCE VITA

A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority, 
from his not having seen what it is expected a man should see. 
 - Samuel Johnson 


Tuscany is drunk with memories. Seven years of our lives in Italy, the odd weekend or holiday in the sage green hills and silver-tipped olive trees of Tuscany, fill the cup and overflow and I am back here after much too long a separation. Flooded with sensations, the warm sun on my skin (after chilly, rainy days in France) tickling out souvenirs of driving these same roads next to my husband, two little toddlers asleep in the back seat. - from Plated Stories Tuscany (with photos by Ilva Beretta)


Simply standing in Tuscany, feeling the breeze against my skin, breathing in the smells, faint yet familiar, that heat so particular to Italy, and it all rushed back. I can say that seven years of memories flooded through my mind, surged through my veins, hot and tangible, but it was more than that. Those sensations brought me back to a time quite a number of years ago, such a happy period of our lives and I realized how very much I missed it.


Italy is a dream that keeps returning for the rest of your life. 
- Anna Akhmatova 





A cross between La Dolce Vita, Roma, Il Postino and Caro Diario, our life in Italy has never ceased to enchant us, Italy has never ceased to entertain us with her perversity, sense of humor, eccentricities and singularity. All of it awash in the most stunning, breathtaking beauty.





And nothing ever changes in Italy, though it seems to move forward gracefully and embrace every modernity much more comfortably and happily than France ever will. Italians laugh, cry, kiss and argue in public. There is still a pride in the food they serve, the homegrown quality of the ingredients, the traditional recipes and love that goes into each and every dish. A great importance is still placed on la bella figura. Landscapes wild and sun-kissed, churches atop hills, vines and olive trees as far as the eye can see. Or cities alive and bustling, horns honking, caf├ęs filled, shops filled with every desire. Churches dark and cool, the beauty of her frescos, the weight of her religion.




Italy is nothing more, nothing less than enchanting.





You may have the universe if I may have Italy. 
- Giuseppe Verdi 



Wish you were here. Baci….

11 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Lovely clicks! Ah, I wish I had holidays... ;-)

Cheers,

Rosa

Jenni said...

Sounds lovely. Just enchanting. <3

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Lovely moments there Jamie! And I had never heard that first passage before but it certainly sums up the visual feast that is Italy :)

heather gilmour said...

Sounds fantastic. Very beautiful pictures from Italy :)
End of tenancy cleaning Battersea

SophiaTerraZiva said...

Love the post, love the photos and love the beautiful old Akita.
I wish I was there too...
Much love, Sophia

Nancie McDermott said...

So beautiful in words and pictures. You cooked me a feast here.

Kalyn Denny said...

Yes, it is definitely gorgeous.

nancy baggett said...

Love the choice of shots. You captured the feel quite beautifully.

nancy baggett said...

Love the choice of shots. You captured the feel quite beautifully.

Nuts about food said...

I feel so lucky to live here after reading/looking at this post!

Elizabeth said...

This takes me right back to our first trip to Europe together when we walked in Tuscany. I can immediately conjure up the feel of breeze, the soft fine dust being stirred up by our feet, the brief sunshower of giant raindrops splashing down slowly and the intense aromas of figs and fennel growing wild by the side of the road.

Thank you, Jamie!

(I particularly like the first photo with the shadow on the deck chair, and the four placed together with the bicycles as the 2nd shot.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...