Monday, April 7, 2014

An Easy Wonderful One-Bowl Chocolate Cake

FRIENDSHIP

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 
"What? You too? I thought I was the only one." 
C.S. Lewis 


This post is linked to Creative Culinary and Barb's tremendous words about internet friendships, a chocolate cake and the Saveur Best Food Blog Awards. Please hop over and read her great post. And be rewarded with cake! 

My husband was the hardest to convince. He has seen me sitting at my laptop day in and day out for the better part of six years, typing and chatting. He has watched me engage on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram with a passion and fervor that surprised him. And he has spent so many years rolling his eyes in ridicule, shrugging his shoulders and furrowing his brow in dismay, begging me to disconnect. How many of us have non-blogging partners that feel the same way? He has also decried my "naiveté" in believing that people I have met and chat with on any social media site could possibly be true friends.


But there he was wrong. And he eventually relented; over the past couple of years as I have created projects with my so-called "invisible friends", those living at a distance, and seen those projects through, he has gradually accepted that friendship and true relationships can be created through the strange and unlikely world of the internet.


One such friendship and working relationship is with Ilva. Who that knows me doesn't know of our work together, of Plated Stories? This creative collaboration inspires and motivates each of us in our individual endeavors and imaginations; I like to think that the nature of our friendship has been what is leading to the success of Plated Stories. First an IACP Award for Best Photo Based Blog and now nominated as a finalist in the Saveur Best Food Blog Awards in the category Best Writing. My husband has truly seen what can happen when people connect, no matter the physical distance between them. Even my sons admit it now. And that is saying something.

Another friend is Barb, the cook and wit behind Creative Culinary. Barb is an amazing cook and her recipes have always drawn me to her blog and kept me coming back – real food, original and titillating recipes, great dishes and desserts (and now cocktails!), a true food blogger in my opinion. But she has also become a friend. But I she explains it much better than I ever could, and has posted about it today on Creative Culinary.

But… Barb has been so very kind, a true friend, by posting today about me and Ilva and Plated Stories. A true friend in supporting Plated Stories and helping us to drum up votes for the Saveur Best Food Blog Awards! I couldn't be more flattered, honored and happy.


And this weekend, Barb decided to pair her blog post with one of my family's favorite recipes and most demanded cake, the Easy One-Bowl Chocolate Cake, pairing it with a luscious Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting. And hers looks much prettier than mine ever has! So please hop over to Creative Culinary – discover a favorite cake recipe and one of my favorite blogs.

Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends. 
Virginia Woolf


Lately, Plated Stories has been Tabled, been Jammin', seen White and said Cheese. Do take some time to discover Plated Stories if you haven't already.

13 comments:

Nuts about food said...

I agree, it is totally possible to make friends on the Internet. I do however believe that at some point it is also important to meet in person and to be able to connect in a non-virtual world too. I have been trying to vote on Saveur, but I am having some technical problems: not sure if it is just me or a problem with the site. Will keep trying, so now worries ;o)

Jamie said...

@Nuts about food: I agree. When I have finally met my internet friends in person, it did really change the relationship, adding a much more personal facet which is so important. Though some friends will be harder to meet in real life because of the distance. I do count on meeting you! We are not that far apart!

And many people have tried to vote and come up with "error" but they have all finally succeeded when they have gone back later. Thank you for your time, effort and vote! It is really appreciated!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delightful cake. So pretty and tempting.

I have met all of my friends though internet. For me it is the best way of meeting/getting to know people like-minded as I rarely go out...

Cheers,

Rosa

Jamie said...

@Rosa: Now that you say that, I have to say "me too". We have few real friends in France and less here in Nantes. My very good friends with whom I feel truly connected and with whom I actually work on projects with are all far away and thus online!

Barb | Creative Culinary said...

For me I think Skype has made a big difference. Hearing and seeing someone makes that relationship more real. Which begs the question of...when ARE we doing that next Jamie. Hmm?? Tell the hubs it's all about business and to go for a walk. :)

Glad to have had an opportunity to support both you and Ilva and your new venture...all my best. XOXO

Jenni said...

Yay friendships and yay cake! Cannot wait to hear that PS won. Because it's only a matter of time. =)

You know I love a Google + hangout, live or just casual in my jammies!

Liz Berg said...

Bill is finally used to me "knowing" and meeting up with people across the globe despite never having met them in person. It's remarkable how you can just tell you'd click with a person in real life via blog posts. But so far, I've been delighted with every blogger I've met. Looking forward to adding you to that list this summer! And, again,congrats on all your accomplishments of late! xo

Jill@MadAboutMacarons said...

Jamie, isn't it funny how the husbands are hardest to convince? Mine scoffs at it so much I haven't been on the web much lately and I feel I've been missing out on the friendships and community. Bravo to you on bringing the men around in your house - and a huge congratulations on your talents that have received the merit that's more than deserved! Of course you have my vote - although we still need to meet up in person, hint, hint. I don't know how you have the time for it, to be honest! Chapeau to you.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef said...

I couldn't agree more that you can make real friends that you've never been in the same room with. I've met quite a few people I've met online and every single time they've been the same in person.

Your success with Ilva is a credit to you both - you inspire each other to be better every post.

ZeBot Zebra said...

I think the very fact that you have bestowed the honor of your genuine friendship upon a bedraggled zebra whom you'd never even met (well, until a couple of weeks ago), speaks happily striped volumes about the delicious beauty and power of gathering in our digital kitchens!

Lisa said...

What a gorgeous cake and such a lovely sentiment. Online friends can be fleeting, but when you catch a special one, you hold on tight. You are one to hold tight to. I'm not demanding anything, but when we do meet, could we bake this cake? Love you xo

Rambling Tart said...

I'm so glad your family sees the value in your invisible friendships now. :-) That is such a good thing. I too dearly love my invisible friends, and am so grateful for their role in my life. Wishing you continued success in all your endeavors. :-)

Taste of Beirut said...

I admit that I had your husband's attitude at first, but blogging and social media have become so entrenched in our lives, and our kids lives especially, that I cannot imagine anymore how people (and I have met a few) can live without internet connection or friends online! congrats on your nomination and success, totally deserved!!:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...