Friday, January 25, 2013

VISUAL FEAST IV

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A CITY 


The sun peeps over the horizon, grasse matinée, watching the sun rise from under the covers we begin our day.



The sun rises a little higher, testing the water one toe at a time, deciding to dress in brilliance. Hand in hand, as is our way, we wander the streets taking in the charm, the humor seasoned with a dash of tongue-in-cheek satire, Nantes’ hidden secrets.


Hangar à banane, les machines de l’île, our Sunday stroll. We savor the sights, the imagination burgeoning from the streets, bursting from the hearts of our fellow nantais. The trumpeting bellow of the beast, his slow, lumbering walk across the pavement. Skirting around the totem feet, scurrying back to town.


White light bouncing off the white stone of this white white city. Handsome women, virile men in tarnished bronze stare elegantly off into space seeing what isn’t there as the water shimmers down their shoulders, over their bodies. Winter offers a glittering cloak of white and chill; disrobed, robed.


Music for the eyes, for the ears, for the soul. The city is alive and dancing. Just for us.


Night falls, misty, damp. The lights on the island like flames blurred through tears, flames beckoning, drawing us closer. Night falls on my city and I bring its magic home with me as I crawl back into bed, snuggle under the covers, between the cool sheets. I close my eyes and wonder what tomorrow will bring, what sky will greet me in the morning when we draw the shutters open.

19 comments:

ilva said...

Oh I want to come to Nantes, you make it look like paradise baby!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I've enjoyed admiring your pictures! Lovely.

Cheers,

Rosa

Jeanne said...

Hey - I'm sure that elephant (or its cousin!) was in Lille a few years back?? What are the chances of TWO giant elephants knocking about France, huh? ;) Lovely pics - your city graffiti is a cut above average, I must say! Need a P2P trip to Nantes ASAP!

Jamie said...

@Ilva @Rosa @Jeanne you are each welcome! And Jeanne - same elephant and in fact I just read Howard Jacobson's article about seeing the elephant in London. And P2P Nantes? I am so working on it!

Robin O said...

Thank you for sharing your city Jamie. Images capturing moments, emotions and the story behind the lens reveal a romantic I think.

Barb | Creative Culinary said...

I had never heard of Nantes until I met you Jamie, yet now I dream of visiting what is quite obviously a very special city; filled with the charm of France without the craziness of Paris perhaps?

No recipe? Good for you!!

Jamie said...

@Barb : exactly! We left Paris because of the craziness. Nantes is lovely and bourgeois but with that hidden passion, humor, art, cuisine...

David @ Frenchie and the Yankee said...

Oh the nice Nantes memories! Thanks! I like those visual feasts!

Amanda said...

Such a beautiful, colourful and diverse city, Jamie. Thank you for sharing it with us, even if it does make me a little envious.

Rambling Tart said...

Holding hands is "our way" too. :-) I love these rambles of yours, the random bits of Nantes that capture your eye. :-)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Beautiful descriptions and photos Jamie! They remind me of my trip there which I have in an upcoming story! I can't wait to share Nantes with everyone :)

Sarah said...

Love this view of your beautiful city! Keep 'em coming! You are a talented street photographer and have captured so many vibrant scenes.

chili said...

HI jamie I am so flattered to see one of my ghost in your pics , thanks for sharing and hope to see you soon !

Shulie Foodwanderings said...

Love this new addition to your site Jamie. I like to take a virtual tours to places that I might not ever get to on my (unfortunately) limited travels. Would have been nice just to take off and travel the world though.261

Junglefrog said...

Gorgeous pics Jamie and wow.... Now you've convinced me I need to see Nantes with my own eyes! I've come so close so many times but never went in!

Jamie said...

@chili: I meant to tag you on Facebook but forgot so I am so happy you dropped by and saw your little man! I am surrounded by them where I live and it is now like a little game between you and me, hide and seek, trying to spot them all! Thanks for adding a bit of humor to Nantes!

@Shulie: I love when you and Sarah of Foodbridge take me on trips to Israel! When I can't travel myself I love having blogger friends take me with them on their voyages virtually!

@Junglefrog: I'm waiting....

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I think P2P nantes is up next! With an extra session of food graffiti. Loving these images1

Lisa said...

I think you have a second career as a photographer simmering. What beautiful photos and you captured Nantes in a way that makes it feel as if I'm actually standing behind yyou and your camera. Oh..love your musical, poetic write-up. Third career as a poet, perhaps? You multi-talented lady, you :)

Elizabeth said...

How did I miss seeing this? I love your Nantes photo essay posts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...