Friday, January 23, 2009

OVEN FRIED CHICKEN

THE BEST CHICKEN YET


I was sitting at my computer yesterday surfing food blogs and, as usual, the thought of dinner hour looming ever closer was haunting my thoughts. I easily and often find something to bake, but when it comes to cooking, a great meal is usually the result of a deep-seeded craving for a particular food. But when I don't feel a yen for anything in particular, my mind is a total blank.

Around noon, I found myself checking out Dinners for a Year and Beyond and what popped up before my very eyes? Oven Fried Chicken. Revelation !

This I just had to try. I ran right out, bought all of the ingredients - truth be told, I already had most everything in the kitchen - and put together the beautiful buttermilk marinade and left the chicken pieces bathing in this luxurious liquid. I blended the herbed parmesan breadcrumb coating. 30 minutes or so later, I preheated the oven, shook the marinade off of each chicken leg, rolled them in the breadcrumbs, lined them up on a baking sheet and baked.


45 minutes later they were cooked, the breading was crispy brown and the house was filled with a fabulous odor.


The chicken, which I served simply with fresh tagliatelle and jarred ratatouille, was indeed moist and delicately flavored and the coating was crispy and oh so delicious! The only changes I made were adding 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper to the buttermilk marinade in place of the hot pepper sauce and I added a rounded half cup of the parmesan cheese to the breading as well as a teaspoon of dried parsley.

This was so simple to put together and so delicious that, thanks to Dinners for a Year and Beyond, I now have a new chicken recipe that I will make over and over again! Cheers!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

This looks like a great recipe, Jamie. Thanks for sharing.

And thank you too for your recent comment on my blog. It was so nice to hear from you. Please come back soon.

Maryann said...

I'm a fried chicken kind of gal, even if it's oven baked :)

Sara said...

This looks delicious, I love to eat chicken like this. There's a similar recipe in the Everyday Food cookbook that I keep meaning to try.

noble pig said...

Very nice. I think this would be a deep craving for me! Nice.

EAT! said...

So glad I could help you out with figuring out what to make for dinner. It is a daily struggle to come up with a delicious yet healthy dinner.

Stop by for more recipes!!

dragonmom said...

Finally, fried chicken I could actually make! Will check to original post and give it a try next time I have a chicken-craving.

My Carolina Kitchen said...

Yum, it looks just like fried chicken even though it came from the oven. I've got to try this.
Sam

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...